CMS BULLETIN, October 11, 2013 — Providers across the United States are participating in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) program. PQRS is a reporting program that uses incentive payments and payment adjustments to promote reporting of quality information. Incentive payments for PQRS continue through the 2014 program year, and payment adjustments begin in 2015, and are based on 2013 reporting.
October 15, 2013 marks a major deadline for the PQRS program. This day is the:
- Last day for individuals and groups participating in the Group Practice Reporting Option (GPRO) to elect to participate in the administrative claims-based reporting mechanism to avoid a payment adjustment in 2015
- Last day for groups to register to participate in GPRO for the 2013 PQRS program year via Web Interface or registry reporting
Providers can register to participate in GPRO and elect administrative claims-based reporting during the government shutdown.
To learn more about PQRS and how to avoid the 2015 PQRS payment adjustment, providers can review these helpful resources:
- PQRS Overview Fact Sheet — Provides eligible professionals (EPs) with basic program information about PQRS.
- PQRS Payment Adjustments Tip Sheet — Includes detailed information on how to avoid the 2015 PQRS payment adjustment.
- 2013 PQRS GPRO Made Simple Fact Sheet —Provides guidance for group practices who wish to participate in the 2013 PQRS program under the GPRO.