– extends the usability of a comprehensive patient record. T e integrated solution should accommodate a customized work- fl ow that aligns with internal routing and delivery processes and enables real-time data transfer. Take advantage of the freedom of dictation by providing clinicians with a user experience that exceeds their experience at a workstation. Currently, mobile applications facilitate the streamlined use of dictation to document. T e best applications can be customized to any workfl ow, eliminating changes in the status quo. Cross-platform functionality – including iOS, Android and Windows – supports the bring-your-own-device approach that is commonplace across the healthcare industry. By its nature, dictation requires data to be transferred for
processing, prompting security considerations. T e Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was written to protect patient privacy through national standards and security requirements, regardless of the capture method. Patient data must be stored on a secure server, and the transmis- sion of data must be encrypted as it passes over networks. Access rights and roles should be assigned appropriately for each user.
Dictation success stories Medical practices that seek to maximize physician produc- tivity while making the most of their EHR have found great success by employing dictation. Illinois Bone & Joint Institute (IBJI), one of the largest orthopedic group practices in Illinois, empowers their physicians with mobile effi ciencies and controls costs through dictation. “Our mobile solution allows providers to dictate on the fl y,
upload, review, edit and authenticate with ease,” says Clara Joyce, practice administrator, IBJI – Libertyville. “It gives them the freedom to focus on their patients during exams and quickly complete the task of documentation, saving us time and money.” An extensive library of templates based on sample transcriptions accelerates the dictation process by prompting the clinician to enter appropriate information within system- generated content. Patient records are completed more quickly, and costs are contained by reducing the amount of transcrip- tions required. For Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush (MOR), a private ortho- pedic medical practice affi liated with Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, dictating on a mobile platform eliminated disruptive operational changes; they chose an easy-to-learn mobile application available for iPhone or Android devices. “T e mobile app makes our documentation procedures and our staff more effi cient,” says Dennis Viellieu, CEO, Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush. “Beyond that measurable value, the application’s effi ciencies and extensive templating capabilities reduced our documentation costs by 40 percent.” St. Cloud Orthopedics in Sartell, Minn., earned $342,000 in Medicare incentive payments by successfully meeting
meaningful use while dictating.5 David L. Kaus, M.D., and practice administrator Bill Worzala reviewed and refused point- and-click, templated EHR systems due to the productivity impact. Instead, they chose to use a combination of dictation and templates.
Dictation and EHRs – a winning combination When an EHR is well designed, it can improve patient safety and ease physician responsibilities. By adding dictation, patient documentation is created without unduly taxing phy- sicians, compromising thorough documentation or incurring excessive costs. Medical facilities, physicians and patients alike can benefi t.
1. http://medcitynews.com/2013/05/ehr-adoption-reaches- tipping-point-but-challenges-remain/#ixzz2aXuEr3rg
2. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare- information-technology/5-healthcare-leaders-discuss-the- challenges-of-emr-adoption-implementation.html
3. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare- information-technology/physicians-may-lose-over-40000-in-5- years-after-ehr-adoption.html
4. http://mtinnercircle.com/2011/10/07/medical-transcription- identifying-errors-protecting-patients/#sthash.PqyVeYiK.dpuf
SECURE CLOUD-BASED PATIENT REMINDERS
PHONE / TEXT / EMAIL
Visit www.rsleads.com/310ht-005 HEALTH MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGY October 2013 13