SPECIAL REPORT: HEALTHCARE CIO SALARY SURVEY 2011 Technical Priorities in Healthcare IT Departments (%) 1.9%
Meaningful use objectives/deadlines (96.3%) Patient safety and medical error reduction initiatives (70.3%) Assist physician practices with EMR/IT implementations (68.4%) Improve data security/reduce risk of data breaches (66.6%) Implement/replace clinical information system (51.8%) Upgrade systems for participation in HIEs/RHIOs (46.2%) Upgrade network infrastructures (37.0%) Disaster recovery/business continuity (34.8%) Consolidation or virtualization of systems/applications (33.2%)
Stay in my current organization
Move to a job in another healthcare organization
Move to a job with an IT vendor
Move to a job with an IT or healthcare consultant
Establish my own consultancy
Move to a job outside of healthcare Retire
Expectations for the Next 3 to 5 Years
Non-Technical Priorities in Healthcare IT (%)
Boost physician / clinician IS utilization (83.3%) Prepare for ICD-10 initiatives (74.1%) Build, train, enhance IT staff technical strength (66.7%) Quality and process improvements (65.4%) Improve IT department customer service (59.3%)
IT governance - develop/enhance (44.4%) Explore IT alignment for supporting ACO initiatives (44.4%) CIO / IT leadership succession planning (22.2%)
ing obstacles, according to survey respondents, are IT budget constraints (63 percent), inadequate IT staff size or technical expertise (50 percent) and organization-wide budget cuts (41 percent).
center: Version 5010 electronic transaction standards and re- mediation work to prepare for ICD-10 (for October 2013). ICD-10 did indeed rank high on the survey respondents list of non-technical priorities. In fact, almost three-fourths (74.1 percent) of CIOs said it is a very high or high priority project in their IT shops. Only working with physicians and clinicians to boost their utilization of information systems ranked higher, with 83.3 percent listing it as a very high or high priority.
The complaint box After listing the technical and non-technical priorities in their IT shops, the survey participants also reported on the obstacles that make it tougher to advance those priorities. In several of HMT’s past CIO surveys, respondents put budget- ary constraints at the top. In an age where most IT shops are provided more resources – commonly 3 to 5 percent or higher of their overall health system budgets, they’re not complaining as much about the bucks. Now, there’s a new reigning hurdle: too many competing priorities. A large majority (85 percent) indicated that too many competing priorities are preventing them from progressing in their strategic paths. Still, limited resources remain a thorn in their side. The next three rank-
10 September 2011
Progress on meaningful use For most healthcare CIOs, the hottest question of the day – or at least of every monthly board meeting – is: “How are you progressing toward meaningful-use deadlines?” We thought, as long as we had CIOs reporting on other key topics, we’d take a quick pulse on their status and their confi dence, both for receiving payments under Stage 1 and forecasting for Stage 2. Many CIOs reported being able to qualify, some having already attested, and most expecting incentive payments in 2012. Many also report having to wait to attest, due to their state Medicaid program’s unreadiness. Overall, only 47 percent of organizations reported that they expected to qualify for incentive payments in Stage 1. But add a little time, and that confi dence jumps dramatically: 89 percent say they expect to qualify in Stage 2. Of the remaining 11 percent, most simply registered “unsure,” refl ecting the unsettled requirements and timelines.
What’s on their horizon? With 22 years of their careers behind them, a healthy percent of today’s CIOs forecast that they will stay in their current organizations; 44 percent say that in the next three to fi ve years, they expect to be doing the same job. Yet, that leaves a majority who are possibly scanning the career horizon for their next opportunity. Almost a third of the respondents (32 percent) indicate that they expect to move to another healthcare organization in that span. And, with more than two decades of professional experience under their belts, many of today’s healthcare CIOs expect to fi nd their next opportunity as consultants. Either in their own consultancy (7.5 percent) or in an established fi rm (3.7 percent), a combined 11 percent look like they’ll take a shot at leveraging their experience beyond one healthcare organization.
HMT HEALTH MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGY www.healthmgttech.com