All-encompassing info for clinicians
The updated Medscape App for the iPad and iPad mini from WebMD provides a suite of mobile clinical reference tools to assist physicians and other healthcare providers, including formulary information; medical calculators; drug, disease and condition references; and a drug interaction checker. The app also features medical news and continuing education and training. This app is also available in Android and Kindle Fire versions. Learn more at www.medscapemobile.com.
Revenue cycle: HFMA/ANI 2013 app
Heading out to ANI: The HFMA National Institute June 16-19 in Orlando, or just want to browse the offerings before the big event? Get the ANI mobile app. With this handy utility, you can check out exibit hall maps; find exhibitors, sponsors and special events; create your own itinerary; get important messages during the show; network with other ANI attendees; view presentations; and even take notes on cool things you see and then email your thoughts and findings back home. Search “HFMA ANI” in the Apple iTunes or Google Play app stores or go to http://ativ.me/ani13.
Workforce management for Android
ANSOS2Go, the first Android mobile app from McKesson, gives ANSOS One-Staff users the ability to quickly view their calendars and daily work assignments from their phones or tablets. The app offers even more benefits for managers, who can view where employees are scheduled to work and send any employee an email or text message simply by tapping on the person’s name. Available free from the Google Play store.
The Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine (SIIM) 2013 Annual Meeting, June 6-9, Grapevine-Dallas, Texas, is the place to discover today’s imaging informatics essentials and trends. Educational sessions, exhibit hall hours and networking opportunities provide dynamic interaction between practitioners and vendors.
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) Institute 2013, June 12-14, Las Vegas, invites you to join thousands of health insurance decision makers to experience the industry’s premier educational event.
ANI: The 2013 HFMA National Institute, June 16-19, Orlando, presents financial management how-to solutions for pressing challenges like reform, value, clinical transformation, accountable care and revenue cycles.
The 2012 American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) 49th Annual Conference & Exposition, Sept. 28-Oct. 1, Washington, D.C., will feature more than 150 exhibitors and plenty of opportunities for networking and knowledge sharing on state-of-the-art services in healthcare HR.
Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) 2013 Annual Conference, Oct. 6-9, San Diego, will host thousands of professionals engaged in managing the business of medicine. Practice administrators and physician leaders are highly encouraged to consider team participation. More than 356 exhibiting companies shared their industry insights, products and services at MGMA12.
The 85th American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Convention & Exhibit, Oct. 26-30, Atlanta, will draw HIM professionals from all areas of health informatics and information management for an intense focus on HIM’s global transformation. Learn how to implement some of the most important changes in HIM history. Pre-convention workshops take place Oct. 26-27.
Storage and Point-of-Care Solutions
Stanley Healthcare products hit prime time
Everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame, right? But how many really get it?
Stanley Healthcare did after it was contacted in early February by Robin McCarthy, art dept. coordinator for the hit medical drama “Grey’s Anatomy,” looking for equipment to fill the TV show’s new ED set at Prospect Studios just east of Hollywood, Calif.
Items from Stanley’s Storage and Supply Chain Solutions line, including medical carts and cabinets, wire shelving, inventory management and point-of-care solutions, passed their auditions and made their debut on season nine’s episode 20 called, “She’s Killing Me.” The show was broadcast April 4, 2013.
But how do you get such a sweet product-placement gig? “We had provided products to ABC studios in the past, and they had found them to be a strong representation of high-quality, durable technology that was the recognized standard for supply chain storage and inventory management in the healthcare setting,” says Beth Young, global strategic business marketing director at Stanley Healthcare.
And how did the equipment look and perform? So good that it has become a permanent fixture on the set.
IT managers: BYOD is OK but risky
A first-time survey and report from T.E.N.’s ISE Analytics provides security executives with interesting peer insights on the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) trend and its associated risks within organizations. “Bring-Your-Own-
Device: Perceptions, Controls and Risk” chronicles the responses of more than 150 senior information security professionals surveyed September through November 2012. Fourteen percent of respondents represented the healthcare industry. Results include:
- Sixty-one percent of security professionals surveyed support BYOD completely (17 percent) or generally (44 percent) compared to only 1 percent that were against BYOD. The remainder had “mixed emotions.”
- Seventy-four percent of the respondents’ employers were introducing a BYOD program aggressively (22 percent) or slowly (52 percent) compared to only 3 percent that had banned BYOD. Seven percent of organizations were reluctantly allowing some BYOD capability.
- Respondents say BYOD will bring higher risk to their organization by an overwhelming margin, with 90 percent saying so compared to 10 percent of respondents who were neutral.
- Security professionals are willing to accept higher risk in return for increased benefits to the organization. Twenty-three percent of respondents with strong personal interests and 30 percent with strong organization interests also assessed the risk as higher.
- At 20 percent, penetration rates for more advanced virtual machine and sandboxing capabilities were higher than anticipated. This could be a forbearer of new technologies being used to match new architectures.
- On average, organizations are deploying three network controls and three data controls in support of roaming BYOD devices with organizational data and non-organization-owned devices accessing an internal network.
Review more of the survey’s findings by visiting the website: www.iseprograms.com.
Tags: Industry Watch